Friday, December 21, 2007

Random

J and I have both been sick this week, so I have not been doing much other than trying to keep up with him. I've had lots of time to think though about all the things I never realized before I had kids and the top one on the list was that I totally took for granted the opportunity to be sick and just lay around. It's awful to be sick and then still have to take care of a very active toddler! It was ok the first few days when J was sick also, because he was sleeping alot or fairly lethargic, so he wasn't demanding too much, but then the past two days have been awful. I still feel really run-down and yet he has felt much better, so I've been trying to keep up with him all the while trying to ignore my horrible headache, body aches, cough, and inability to breathe! I just wanted to crawl under the covers and go to sleep!

I also realized that even 18 months after J was born, I still have not adjusted to him waking me up in the mornings. Our house is pretty small, and so usually when H gets up in the morning, J will hear him and want to get up. I've always been lazy in the mornings - I used to set my alarm clock an hour before I wanted to get up because I loved being able to hit snooze and just curl back up in bed. But now with J, when he's up, I'm up. There's no snooze button to hit and no opportunity to just get out of bed when I want. And I miss that.

I also realized that I just don't feel ready for a second baby yet. Part of it is that our house is so small, there's really not room for another. I also feel like with as much as Husband works, it would be just that much harder for us to have time together if there was a second child. I'm also not sure what I want to do with my work - I don't think I'm ready to not work, but I would like to be able to give the second child as much attention as I did J, and that will be near impossible if I'm still working and keeping up with J. We're planning on having J in preschool this fall - either two or three full days a week - so maybe then when I have more time for work, I'll start to feel more ready to have another baby around.

We're pretty much ready for Christmas - I finally got our cards sent out and most of the presents are done. I just need to pick up a few random things for Husband's family, and since I know what I'm getting each person, it's just a matter of making it out the stores. I've also got to make some treats on Sunday for gifts - I think I'm going to do peppermint bark and dipped pretzels - and then I will also make a casserole for brunch on Sunday and a few side dishes to take for Christmas dinner.

I've been pleasantly surprised with how much J is recognizing about Christmas - he loves the lights and will say "lights" and "Mis-mas" every time he sees Christmas displays. He hated Santa in person, but loves to look at his picture with Santa and say "ho, ho, ho, merry mis-mas!" He also has loved the nativity, and will say "nite-nite baby Jesus" to the manager and point out the sheep, Mary and Joseph who he calls "mommy jesus and daddy jesus", and the angel. Our dog did eat part of J's El.mo ornament, and we are worried that J might have helped, but other than that there haven't been any major mishaps. He hasn't shown much interest in the presents, which is good because they've all managed to stay wrapped and decorated under the tree!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • I don't think I'll ever get used to waking so early either. Luckily, Lila usually sleeps until 9 or so, sometimes 8, sometims 10...but somehow I always feel like I need another hour.

    By Blogger Chastity, at December 24, 2007 at 7:19 AM  

  • Good blogging. I can relate to it all. I feel guilty when Bryan and Landon get up in the morning and I just want to stay in bed.

    Hope you got to feeling better.

    By Blogger Unknown, at January 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home