Monday, October 1, 2007

The One with All the Ex-Girlfriends

I always loved how Friends episodes were titled - every show started with "The One With" and then had the rest of the title. So when I start to feel like my life should be a sitcom, I like to make up "The One With" titles that describe whatever is going on and then I feel like it's a little funnier. Kind of silly, I know, but it helps. I find myself laughing at myself for the silly title and then everything looks a little brighter.

So the above title encompasses my current feelings that my husband has too many ex-girlfriends that are STILL in our life in some form or fashion. I've mentioned that his best friend (they were best men in each other's weddings) not only dated my husband's ex-girlfriend, but also MARRIED her (who does that? Really? I still can't figure out how this guy missed out on one of the top dating rules of all time - you don't date your friend's leftovers. And you REALLY don't marry them). But anyway, I've worked on moving on from that.

Then there was the ex-girlfriend that tried to beat me up at a bar because she thought she should still be dating Husband. She works down the block from Husband and he sees her on the street, out at restaurants, etc. I haven't run into her recently, but she is still around and runs in some of the same circles we do.

Then at church yesterday, I head outside with J after the service and he starts playing with this other little boy his age. As I look around to see who the boy belongs with, my mother-in-law (we go to the same church as my in-laws), comes out and runs up to this very pregnant woman and gives her a hug and exclaims about how nice it is to see her. I'm still watching the boys, although I say hi to my MIL, until I realize that Husband has come outside also and gone up to this woman to say hi. He gets my attention to introduce me, and it takes me a minute when I hear her name to realize that this is ANOTHER ex-girlfriend of his that he dated for well over a year. They had been friends during high school and then dated in college and both families wanted them to get married because they were just "meant to be". Until she took off for the ea.st coast and he stayed in the mi.dwest. She's in town for another week, which means we'll most likely see them again at church or somewhere else.

So with the exception of one woman, I've now met every single one of his serious ex-girlfriends. I've also met a lot of the woman he just dated casually, and I don't even count those in the list. I'm thinking next time I go up to Chi.cago I should look up this other ex-girlfriend of his just to finish off the list. Either that or bring in all my ex-boyfriends from where they are scattered for a reunion. I think it's about time Husband should have to meet them. It's only fair. :)

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • My husband has only one ex-girlfriend, and that was more of an on and off high school thing, and she is married to one of his friends. I knew her in school as well, so it doesn't seem too weird to me. Other than that it was only casual dating for him until me :)....and I'm not in a hurry for J to meet any of my ex boyfriends.

    By Blogger Chastity, at October 1, 2007 at 10:41 AM  

  • I'm on the lucky side with Chas, no real serious ex's to deal with. Thank goodness! I certainly feel sorry for you for having so many around!

    By Blogger Liz, at October 1, 2007 at 5:15 PM  

  • I like the exboyfriend reunion idea...haha!

    By Blogger Morgan, at October 2, 2007 at 8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home