Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Catching up

I have not been on the computer much lately - most of what I've been doing for work this past week has been either in-person or on the phone, so I haven't been on for work. I also realized that I had a huge stack of library books that I'd already renewed as many times as I could that were due today, and I wanted to finish reading them! So I've spent most of my "free" time lately reading instead of sitting on the computer. I need to start catching up on everyone's blogs.

Dinner at Fudd.ruckers was so good. I completely stuffed myself, but it was worth it. Karen, I laughed at your comment! Anyone that has ever eaten with me at Fudd.ruckers has said the exact same thing, but then once they try a bite of the bun (they have these really good, homemade, toasted buns) with the melted cheese and pico on it, they start eating their burger the same way!

The best part about dinner though was that J. actually fed himself his dinner! We had gotten him a children's grilled chicken sandwich with fries, and he ate a few pieces of chicken, about half the bun, and 2 or 3 fries! I was so excited. We have had such a hard time trying to get him to feed himself anything other than crackers, goldfish, or cherrios, and so it was so nice to have him eat his food and not need babyfood. I told H. that we might have to eat at Fudd.rucker's every night.

I gave up (for now) working on my post about women working/staying at home. I'm going to finish it at some point, but it was making me too frustrated and fired up when writing it. I'm really trying to just enjoy the "here and now" and remind myself that all of this is just one phase in my life. I think it's helping that the weather is getting nicer - I have been so grateful lately to be able to have such flexibility in my schedule that I can take J. to the park during the day or go for a walk outside whenever we want. Yesterday, we were in Cl.ayton, the area of town where H. works, to run some errands, and I took. J. in the stroller and we walked down to H.'s office to say hi. As we were walking, and I was watching all the business men and women on the street, I realized that having the ability to be with J., outside on such a beautiful day, and in comfortable clothes and flipflops instead of work clothes, is totally worth putting my career on hold for a few years. I wouldn't do it any differently, but I do need to find a better way to balance working from home, getting everything done, taking care of J., taking care of H., taking care of myself, taking care of the house, etc. so that it doesn't stress me out so much. Any ideas?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • I'm with ya. I don't know how you can work from home and be a mom. I work from home too, and feel blessed every day for that flexibility. But I have Jenna in daycare, because otherwise I couldn't get any work done. Still, I can take her late or pick her up early, depending on my workload. I haven't quite figured out how to get everything else around the house done though, because if I have extra time, I like to be with her!

    I've never been much of a Fuddrucker's fan, but maybe if I go again, I'll try the cheese/pico thing. I told Jay about that and he thought it sounded really good. :)

    By Blogger Karen, at March 28, 2007 at 1:30 PM  

  • Is there any way that you can utilize daycare on one or two set days (or mornings, or afternoons) a week? I was lucky enough to be able to do that, and it was just enough to give me time to either make appointments, get the house cleaned up, volunteer, or occassionally (although not as frequently as I'd like) just have some goof of time. Remember-as a SAHM you are working every day, even on the weekends and all night!

    Another option would be to find another mom and do a swap out once a week-like you watch both kids at your house on tuesday mornings, and she could watch both kids on wednesday mornings. Then you both could have time to count on.

    A third option would be to hire a neighborhood kid (especially in the summer or after school time frame) as a "mother's helper". I like this option as an idea (although I haven't actually tried it) because in theory since you would be home but they'd be keeping an eye on the kiddo you could go with a girl who is much younger than one that you'd feel comfortable leaving at the house, say a 10 or 11 year old who likes children, is responsible and wants to earn some money (not many options for that age group) you probably could just pay a couple of bucks an hour and arrange a set couple of days a week where you could either get housework done or do some work for home stuff.

    By Blogger Jenn @ Frugal Upstate, at March 29, 2007 at 11:18 AM  

  • Yummm...Fuddrucker's Buns!!!

    You posted on my blog about the placemats we had used at the Cheesecake Factory and I just thought I'd tell you how WONDERFUL they are! They are plastic and made by Kiddopotamus. They have suctions on the bottom to keep them in place, a "cup" at the bottom to catch food, and fold us into themselves when you are done. We got them from Babies R Us, called the Tiny Diner Placemat. Here's the link http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2373448&cp=&sr=1&f=Taxonomy%2FTRUS%2F2255957&origkw=placemat&kw=placemat&parentPage=search

    Thanks for looking in on us, I can't wait to read your blog!

    By Blogger Lathan, Lauren, Logan, London, at March 29, 2007 at 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home