Monday, March 31, 2008

About something other than the house (for the most part)

I'm trying to think about things other than our house. So before I write about something fun that has nothing to do with my house, I need to get out one more thing about the house:

we heard back from the buyer - he wants the el.ectr.ic pan.el done. it looks like we are going to agree to it even though we swore up and down we wouldn't spend that money. bye-bye money.

Moving on . . . .

A few months ago I found my high school boyfriend (hereafter referred to as Pilot) on Facebook. We aren't on bad terms or anything, there's just really no reason for us to be friends. I haven't seen him since 2001 when we had one fun night together when we were both in town and single. Lots of fun. But that's another post.

I looked at his friend list and found that his mom was on it! I loved his mom - we got along really well and had a great time talking and I always enjoyed her company. So I sent her a friend request, she wrote back with a long note about how she still thinks about me and much we enjoyed each other's company. She was wonderful for my self-esteem - after Pilot and I broke up, we were still friends in high school and during college and I would go over during breaks to visit and talk with her. She always referred to me as family and introduced me to her friends as "who she wished was her daughter-in-law". I missed her more than I ever missed Pilot when we eventually drifted apart.

So now that we've reconnected over facebook, we've been emailing. She writes long, funny notes with stories about what she remembers from when her kids where J's age, what things she did to deal with toddlers, what it's like now to have a grandchild (Pilot and his wife recently had their first baby) and other little notes about life that I really enjoy. She is full of good advice and I love writing with her. It's kind of like having a mother-in-law that's not really your mother-in-law so there's none of those weird dynamics of being married to this person's son! It's been a real highlight of my life lately to get her emails and I'm so happy to have reconnected with her.

Other non-house news: my old pre-baby job (the one that I consulted with for a long time after leaving in 2006) is coming available - the woman that I trained last summer for the position is leaving, and the job is mine again if I want it. I don't, because it's a very full-time job and doesn't have any potential for upward growth, but it's nice to know that option is there. I'm tempted to go back to work full-time because sometimes I feel so overwhelmed with working from home and trying to take care of J, but I know that feeling would only be compounded if I was working full-time. I have to keep reminding myself that toddlerhood and being a stay-at-home mom is only one stage of my life, and that this is the time I'm in right now. There will be a time later down the road to go back to work full-time, and I'm sure when I make that decision that I'll miss the opportunity to be home full-time. So I'm trying to just be happy in my life now, as a part-time work from home/stay at home mom, as to be grateful that I have the opportunity and ability to do this when my kids are young.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home