Monday, September 24, 2007

J's new word

I've taught my son a cuss word. I never even realized I said it as much as I did until he starting using it. It's almost funny, because he actually uses it "appropriately". So instead of hearing "uh-oh" when he throws his cup off the tray, it's now "sh*t". I think it's the first word he's said that came out correctly the very first time he said it. Every other word, he had some approximation for it for a few days/weeks until he finally got it - "elm" became "elmo", "ba" became "ball", "da" became "dog" and "dad", "ez" became "cheese" and so on. But sh*t? Came out clear as day first time he said it. And my verbal response when I heard it?

"oh, sh*t"

I didn't even realize I said it. But now I've been noticing that I say it ALL the time. I had hoped Husband wouldn't hear it from J, but then this weekend, J lost his baseball under the couch and couldn't get to it. So he said "sh*t". And Husband turned to me with a shocked look on his face and asked if that word was what he thought it was. And of course it was.

I'm hoping that if we just don't make a big deal out of it (and I stop using it myself!) then he'll forget about it!

2 Comments:

  • Apparently, when I was around 3 years old, I told my dad to get me some "f*cking Coke"....yes, I'd heard it from him and had no idea what I'd said was bad. He always says it was a rude awakening for him. I really try to watch my mouth in front of Lila for that very reason. I don't use the "F" word, but once in a while "sh*t" does pop out...hopefully she's not catching on, lol.

    By Blogger Chastity, at September 24, 2007 at 7:46 PM  

  • My husband has been trying to teach Zoey how to say "kick ass." As in, "that's a kick ass toy!" He thinks it would be cute and he's right--it would be the most perversely cute thing in the world. But I still told him we can't do it.
    BTW--love your blog! I just found it from one of your comments on my blog! I love this new community of great funny fellow moms!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 1, 2007 at 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home