Friday, April 13, 2007

I have to start shopping at Wal.mart

I think I need to give up my Tar.get addiction. I'm going broke. I can't go in there and not spend over $200. I had a list today of only 6 items; I left with a cartful of stuff and spent way too much money. I just can't help myself - some of what I end up getting that's not on my list is stuff we do actually NEED at some point, just not right now (like a big thing of paper towels that's on sale, or soap, or other essentials that I stock up on). But do I really need three things of paper towels stored in my basement? No. And then there's all the things I buy that I don't need - like the cute little cashmere t-shirt (only $30!) or the stylish black sandals that would have been $60+ anywhere else. Oh, and I ended up buying all kinds of finger food and baby food for Trout - they had a bunch of new stuff from Gerber - and even though we're well-stocked, I bought about two bags full of more food.

I never shopped like this at Tar.get until about my 32nd week of pregnancy, when my nesting instinct emerged - and it wasn't an urge to clean house or redecorate - instead, I went to Tar.get 2, 3 times a week and stocked up on every possible thing I thought we might need once the baby arrived. This is why we ended up with 16 boxes of gauze squares that we never used. And this continued once he was born, and I just can't stop! Help!

I'm addicted to Tar.get. There should be a self-help group for this.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Another blogger that I read posted about her Target addiction a couple of months ago. She has a huge amount of readers and they all left her comments on how to help. The one that recurred over and over again is to buy a Target gift card each month in the amount you feel comfortable spending and once it's gone, it's gone.

    By Blogger Liz, at April 13, 2007 at 3:35 PM  

  • I just looked up the link to that post so you can read. There's almost 100 comments, but you'll get the idea pretty quickly!

    http://captainhambone.typepad.com/not_that_you_asked/2007/01/budget_schmudge.html#comments

    By Blogger Liz, at April 13, 2007 at 3:37 PM  

  • Oh, it didn't work! If you're interested, email me, and I'll send you the link.

    lalizard22@hotmail.com

    By Blogger Liz, at April 13, 2007 at 3:38 PM  

  • Yeah, there is something about moms and Target. I don't think switching to WalMart would help though! When I go to Target, I have to stay away from the kids' clothes, or else I'll want to buy one of everything. And we already have enough!

    By Blogger Karen, at April 14, 2007 at 4:10 PM  

  • I know all too well what you're talking about. It's all too convenient to have household supplies and cute clothes under the same roof! :)

    By Blogger Morgan, at April 14, 2007 at 7:57 PM  

  • Let's to to Target together! Evil Monster Store! I love that place.

    We go there, at least, 4-5 times a week. Evil, evil. I've stopped taking in my wallet when I go with my friends, which usually just means I have to run out to the car later, cause I found something I just had to have.

    If you find a cure let me know!

    By Blogger Unknown, at April 16, 2007 at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home