Thursday, March 1, 2007

random thoughts

1. Speeding tickets.

I got a speeding ticket today for doing 42 in a 30, at the bottom of a hill. ugh. I saw the cop right as I came towards the end of the hill and he started pulling out. Fortunately, it was in a municipality that my husband's firm represents, and the last time I got a ticket in this area, the local prosecutor just tore it up. Not that it's any excuse for speeding, but it is nice not to get hit with the fine and points on my insurance! So I was very nice to the cop and didn't let it upset me as I knew that at the very least, it wouldn't go onto my insurance and best case scenario, I wouldn't have to deal with it at all. And I haven't gone over the limit the rest of the day today!

It is funny that I had only received 1 speeding ticket from the time I was 16 until I met my husband (when I was 24). Since being with him, I've gotten 4 tickets. Fortunately, all of them have either been cleared by the local prosecutor or I've had it reduced to a non-moving violation and only had to pay a small fine. I guess this is one of the benefits of having a husband that is in his line of work - kind of makes the 60-80 weeks worth it.

2. Unfinished prayers

I dated this guy in college/grad school for a few years who had gotten two women pregnant when he was in his 20s (he was 29-31 yrs during the time we dated; 8 years older than me). Both of the women had ab.0rti0ns. When I first found out about this, it was really upsetting because he was devastated by it. The first woman, he had begged her to get married and not to do it, and she decided that it was the best decision for her at the time and went forward with it, against his wishes. The second time, he reacted differently and encouraged the woman to go ahead with it since it seemed like the best thing for both of them. I had never though much about the effects of ab.0rti0n on the man, but in talking with him about it on the two occasions that he did talk about it and in seeing the pain he felt, it was obvious that both experiences were extremely upsetting to him. Anyway, the point of this is that every so often I get struck with thoughts of him and the two women and the ab.0rti0ns. And by "struck", my head is filled with thoughts of them and the memory of the pain on his face when he told me about this, and how one of the women called him on the anniversary in tears, and how the other women broke down after and told him that the doctor had told her it was twins after the ab.0rti0n. And the curious side of me wonders "why now?" "Why am I thinking of them (him, and both women) now?" The first few times this happened, it was days before I could get them out of my mind. I volunteered at a cri.sis preg.nancy cent.er for awhile because it felt like I needed to do something. And now the only thing I do when these thoughts come up is pray for him, for the first woman, and for the second woman. I don't know what I'm praying for - I don't even know if it has to do with the ab.0rti0ns, and I can only remember one of the women's names - but I feel like there has to be some reason why they are stuck in my head. They've all been in my thoughts today and I've been praying, so if you think of it, please say a prayer also.

3. Nostalgia

Food Network had a show last night that featured the city I lived in for college. It showed a lot of the restaurants I loved going to and miss eating at. It made me feel very nostalgic for being in that city (a city I always thought I'd end up settling in) and for the memories associated with eating at a lot of those places. So I started thinking about a conversation I had last year with friends about the best meal we've ever had. The common theme among our answers was that the meal didn't have as much to do with the food, although in all cases the food was good, but more with the people or event associated with the meal. So today I spent some time while driving around running errands (and getting speeding tickets) thinking about my favorite meals:
1. the biergarten in Germany with K.H. when the sun was going down and we sat and ate pasta and drank beer for hours in one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen
2. the night at the coffee shop with J.C. when we were the only people there (since they hadn't actually opened for business yet!) and they let us stay and drink banana bread coffee (which was surprisingly good) for hours
3. on our honeymoon, when H. and I sat at the bar on the beach and drank buckets of Coronas and ate whatever the kitchen brought out for us
4. in Chicago with H. - dinner after we'd gotten engaged, our first anniversary dinner with the amazing hearts of palm salad
5. every time I get back to texas and get to go eat mexican at my favorite place (ok, so that's not just one meal, but a lot of meals!)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home