Thursday, January 4, 2007

Safety shopping

J. and I spent 2 hours this morning at Babies R' Us shopping for safety proofing items and a new jogging stroller. BRU is like a dark hole that I get lost in and emerge hours later with no money. l my money. I know that everything there is at least a dollar more than it would be at Target or Walmart, but I just love being in a whole store of baby stuff! I also had to stop to nurse J. while we were there, and they have a somewhat decent room to do it in. Today though, there was another mom in there and we started talking, so J. just wanted to sit up and participate in our conversation. I finally gave up after 45 minutes.

It was a bit frustrating to drive all the way out there though, only to find out that one of the items I wanted - a cover for power strips - was not there. It wasn't there the last time I went to BRU looking for it. Ugh. I did manage to find adhesive drawer latches though, since my husband pitched a fit when he found out that the others required you to screw into the drawer and frame. Since we renovated the kitchen shortly before J. was born, I think he hates the idea of doing anything permanent to it that would detract from the kitchen, especially since we are most likely moving in 2-3 years. However, the drawer latches with screws were around 3-4 dollars for a pack of 8. The adhesive latches were 7 dollars EACH! I went ahead and bought them all, but it will be interesting to see what he wants to do once he realizes the price difference.

So upon coming home, I got online to try and find the items I didn't get at BRU (wire guards and power strip covers). I checked a few places online, including Target. They didn't have power strip covers, but in the safety section, they do carry DNA identification/profile kits. Hmmm. I guess if you aren't sure who is your baby's daddy, you can just pop over to Target and find out. That's nice. I'm not sure though why they are in the safety section and am still trying to figure that out.

We had one other "fun" experience at BRU - I realized that now that J. is in his "big" carseat and thus sitting up in the front of the cart that when I need to use the restroom, I have no where to put him! You can't take the cart into the bathroom (and even if you could, there's no room for it), and so I ended up holding him on my lap and trying to do everything one-handed. I've done this before, but always with the Baby Bjorn so I didn't really have to hold him while I did everything. And it was not easy. I'm going to have to figure out how to use one of the three slings I own so that I have an easier way to hold on to him when we're in the store. The Bjorn is too bulky to carry around in the diaper bag, so I really need to be able to use one of the slings. It's been 8 months of trying though, and I still can't even figure out how to get them over my head properly.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home